The ADA Legacy Tour is rolling across the country raising awareness and building excitement toward ADA25 - the 25th anniversary of the ADA in 2015! The Tour includes:
- The "Road to Freedom" ADA Bus - which traveled to 48 states in 2007 to raise support for the ADA Amendments Act - courtesy of the Disability Rights Center and driven by veteran disability rights photographer, Tom Olin;
- a four-panel display on the history of self-advocacy, courtesy of the Museum of disABILITY History;
- displays on the preservation of disability history; celebrations of disability history milestones; and efforts to educate future generations of disability advocates, courtesy of The ADA Legacy Project;
- displays on the history of the Road to Freedom Tour; and
- an information table with handouts on The ADA Legacy Project and the ADA, plus information from our partners and sponsors.
Six of the Tour stops will be housed at the Abilities Expo, one of our major Tour partners. These stops will include a workshop on the ADA, courtesy of the ADA National Network.
Each stop will have a unique theme and purpose.
As it stands, the current route (which may change depending upon funding, logistics, interest, etc.) is:
2014 - Phase One
- July 25-27: Houston,TX hosted by Abilities Expo (Tour Kick-off!)
- August 6: St. Paul, MN hosted by Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities; View photo gallery of the St. Paul event.
- September 5-7: Boston,MA hosted by Abilities Expo
- September 17-18: Millersville, PA hosted by Millersville University of Pennsylvania
- October 8-10: Albuquerque, NM hosted by the 2014 Southwest Conference on Disability
- October 17-20: Albuquerque, NM hosted by APRIL Conference
- November 21-23: Bay Area, CA hosted by Abilities Expo
- November 25: Berkeley, CA, Ed Roberts Campus, 11:00 to 2:00.
2015 - Phase Two
- January TBD: Tampa, FL
- January 27-31: Orlando, FL
- February 22: Baca Raton, FL
- March 1-4: Austin, TX
- March 9-13: Denver, CO
- March 17-20: Topeka, KS
- March 30-31: Columbia, MO
- April 2-4: Bentonville, AR
- April 7-8: Hot Springs, AR
- April 10-11: Memphis, TN
- April 14-17: Nashville, TN
- April 19-23: Washinton, DC
- April 29-30: Buffalo, NY
- May 10-11: Atlanta, GA
- May (TBD): Birmingham and Montgomery, AL
- June 1-8: Anderson, SC; Greenville, SC; Charlotte, NC; Charleston, SC
- June 12-13: Atlanta, GA
- June 16: Springfield, IL
- June 17-20: Indiana
- June 24-27: Milwaukee, WI
- July 1-4: Missoula, MT
- July 11: Rochester, NY
- July 13-14: New York, NY
- July 18: Chicago, IL
- July 20: Toledo, OH
- July 22: Cleveland, OH
- July 25: Philadelphia, PA
- July 26-28: Washington, DC
Want the Tour to stop in your community?
if you are along the route and can make a minimum donation of $250 (the cost of a tank of gas) it may be possible for the Tour to stop briefly in your community! This would afford you a chance to have a photo opportunity with Tom Olin and the Road to Freedom ADA Bus. And your support will help "Keep Freedom Rolling!" If you are interested in supporting the Tour, please contact Tom Olin.
(photo by Tom Olin)