The ADA Legacy Tour is rolling across the country raising awareness and building excitement toward ADA25 - the 25th anniversary of the ADA in 2015! The Tour includes:
- The "Road to Freedom" ADA Bus - which traveled to 48 states in 2007 to raise support for the ADA Amendments Act - courtesy of the Disability Rights Center and driven by veteran disability rights photographer, Tom Olin;
- a four-panel display on the history of self-advocacy, courtesy of the Museum of disABILITY History;
- displays on The ADA Legacy Project and its effort to preserve of disability history; celebrate disability history milestones; and educate future generations of disability advocates;
- a "Because of the ADA . . ." booth where you can post your thoughts and photos to illustrate the difference the ADA has made in your life;
- the ADA quilt - add your signature to thousands of others who have participated in the Tour;
- displays on the history of the Road to Freedom Tour;
- an information table with handouts on The ADA Legacy Project and the ADA, plus information from our partners and sponsors; and
- events, workshops, artifcacts, and other programming provided by local hosts.
Six of the Tour stops will be housed at the Abilities Expo, one of our major Tour partners. These stops will include a workshop on the ADA, courtesy of the ADA National Network.
Each stop will have a unique theme and purpose.
As it stands, the current route (which may change depending upon funding, logistics, interest, etc.) is:
2014 - Phase One
- July 25-27: Houston,TX hosted by Abilities Expo (Tour Kick-off!)
- August 6: St. Paul, MN hosted by Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities; View photo gallery of the St. Paul event.
- September 5-7: Boston,MA hosted by Abilities Expo
- September 17-18: Millersville, PA hosted by Millersville University of Pennsylvania
- October 8-10: Albuquerque, NM hosted by the 2014 Southwest Conference on Disability
- October 17-20: Albuquerque, NM hosted by APRIL Conference
- November 21-23: Bay Area, CA hosted by Abilities Expo
- November 25: Berkeley, CA, Ed Roberts Campus, 11:00 to 2:00.
- December 2: Phoenix, AZ, Arizona Bridge to Independent Living.
2015 - Phase Two
- January 28-31: Orlando, FL, hosted by the Assistive Technology Industry Association and the Florida Independent Living Council, Inc.
- March 1-4: Austin, TX
- March 5: Plano, TX
- March 9-13: Denver, CO
- March 17-20: Topeka, KS
- March 30-31: Columbia, MO
- April 2-4: Bentonville, AR
- April 7-8: Hot Springs, AR
- April 10-11: Memphis, TN
- April 14-17: Nashville, TN
- April 19-23: Washington, DC
- April 29-30: Buffalo, NY
- May 2-8: Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte, NC
- May TBD: Virginia
- May 10-11: Atlanta, GA
- May 12-14: Johnson City and Knoxville, TN
- May 15-16: Expo, Atlanta, GA
- May 18-22: Birmingham and Montgomery, AL
- May 26-29: Atlanta, GA
- May TBD: Augusta, GA
- June 1-2: Charleston, SC
- June 3: Columbia, SC
- June 4: Anderson, SC
- June 5-6: Greenville, SC
- June 12-13: Atlanta, GA
- June 16: Springfield, IL
- June 17-20: Indiana
- June 24-27: Madison and Milwaukee, WI
- July 1-4: Missoula, MT
- July 7: Superior, WI
- July 11: Rochester, NY
- July 13-14: New York, NY
- July 18: Chicago, IL
- July 20: Toledo, OH
- July 21: Detroit, MI
- July 22: Cleveland, OH
- July 23: Columbus, OH
- July TBD: Pittsburgh, PA
- July 25: Philadelphia, PA
- July 26: Caravan to Washington, DC
- July 26-28: Washington, DC
Want to support or participate in The ADA Legacy Tour?
We are no longer taking requests for additional Tour stops.
However, there are still ways for you to see and support The ADA Legacy Tour:
- If you want to participate in and/or help with the Tour stop in your area, please contact the local hosts
- If you want to support the Tour, please contact Rita Young
(photo by Tom Olin)