The ADA Legacy Tour is rolling across the country raising awareness and building excitement toward ADA25 - the 25th anniversary of the ADA in 2015! The Tour includes:
- The "Road to Freedom" ADA Bus - which traveled to 48 states in 2007 to raise support for the ADA Amendments Act - courtesy of the Disability Rights Center and driven by veteran disability rights photographer, Tom Olin;
- a four-panel display on the history of self-advocacy, courtesy of the Museum of disABILITY History;
- displays on The ADA Legacy Project and its effort to preserve of disability history; celebrate disability history milestones; and educate future generations of disability advocates;
- the ADA quilt - add your signature to thousands of others who have participated in the Tour;
- displays on the history of the Road to Freedom Tour; and
- information, giveaways, events, workshops, artifacts, and other programming provided by local hosts.
Six of the Tour stops (3 with the Bus and 3 without) will be housed at the Abilities Expo, one of our major Tour partners. These stops will include a workshop on the ADA, courtesy of the ADA National Network.
As it stands, the current route (which may change depending upon funding, logistics, interest, etc.) is:
- July 7; Duluth, MN
- July 7: Superior, WI - https://wisconsinadastories.org/schedule-superior
- July 11: Rochester, NY- https://www.facebook.com/rochestercdr
- July 13-14: New York, NY - http://www.nyc.gov/html/mopd/ada25nyc/html/home/home.shtml , https://plus.google.com/+ADA25CelebrateJuly26/posts
- July 17: Forest Park, IL - http://www.ada25chicago.org/calendar/road-to-freedom-ada-bus/
- July 18: Chicago, IL - http://www.ada25chicago.org/
- July 20: Toledo, OH - http://www.abilitycenter.org/news-and-events/zooday
- July 21: Detroit, MI - https://www.adamichigan.wordpress.com
- July 22-23: Columbus, OH -http://www.ada25columbus.com/
- July 25: Philadelphia, PA - https://www.facebook.com/DisabilityPridePhiladelphia
- July 26: Wilmington, DE -
- July 26: Baltimore, MD - http://mdod.maryland.gov/news/Pages/2015ADA.aspx
- July 26: Washington, D.C. - http://americanhistory.si.edu/ADA25, http://www.2540celebration.com/ , http://www.ncil.org/2015-annual-conference-on-independent-living/
Want to support or participate in The ADA Legacy Tour?
We are no longer taking requests for additional Tour stops.
However, there are still ways for you to see and support The ADA Legacy Tour:
- If you want to participate in and/or help with the Tour stop in your area, please contact the local hosts
- If you want to communicate with the Tour Team, please contact Joy Weeber
- If you want to support the Tour, please contact Holly Colsher
Note: If you want the Tour to visit you AFTER July 2015, please contact Janine Bertram.
Where have we been so far?
Since its kick-off in July 2014, The ADA Legacy Tour has logged thousands of miles! Here's a look:
2014 Tour Summary
- July 25-27: Houston,TX hosted by Abilities Expo (Tour Kick-off!)
- Parsons, Kansas
- Des Moines, Iowa
- August 6: St. Paul, MN hosted by Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities; View photo gallery of the St. Paul event.
- Washington, Pennsylvania
- September 5-7: Boston,MA hosted by Abilities Expo
- Allentown, Pennsylvania
- September 17-18: Millersville, PA hosted by Millersville University of Pennsylvania
- Washington, Pennsylvania
- Louisville, Kentucky
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Little Rock, Arkansas
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- October 8-10: Albuquerque, NM hosted by the 2014 Southwest Conference on Disability
- October 17-20: Albuquerque, NM hosted by APRIL Conference
- Fresno, California
- Marin County, California
- Hayward, California
- November 21-23: Bay Area, CA hosted by Abilities Expo
- San Jose, California
- November 25: Berkeley, CA, Ed Roberts Campus, 11:00 to 2:00.
- December 2: Phoenix, AZ, Arizona Bridge to Independent Living.
- January 28-31: Orlando, FL, hosted by the Assistive Technology Industry Association and the Florida Independent Living Council, Inc.
- February 27th: San Antonio, http://evasheroes.org/
- March 1: Hutto, TX - http://www.thehuttonews.com/news/article_f78fdd5a-b167-11e4-a430-3f8c1570c8cc.html
- March 1-4: Austin, TX - http://texasada25.txsilc.org/2014/01/bus-tour-dates-finalized/ * Austin Photo Gallery
- March 6-8: Los Angeles, CA - Abilities Expo
- March 9-13: Denver, CO - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlantis-Community-Inc/232863653391920 * Denver Photo Gallery
- March 18: Topeka, KS - http://www.tilrc.org/assests/ada25tilrc35.html
- March 30-31: Columbia, MO - http://www.silcolumbia.org/ada/
- April 2: Bentonville, AR, Walmart Distribution Center
- April 7-8: Hot Springs, AR - https://www.facebook.com/events/1434686760161911/
- April 10-11: Memphis, TN - https://sites.google.com/site/mcilaction/coming-up/adatour
- April 15-17: Nashville, TN - http://www.cilmtn.org/ada-legacy-tour-celebration-.html, http://vkc.mc....
- April 19: Disability Rights Fun Run, Senator Harkin, Union Station, Washington, DC - http://www.adaptfunrun.net/
- April 20: Arlington, VA - http://ecnv.org/ada25.html
- April 23-25: Grand Rapids, MI - http://disartfestival.org/ada-legacy-tour-bus/
- April 29-30: Buffalo, NY- http://museumofdisability.org/information/news-and-events/ , https://www.facebook.com/museumofdisability
- May 2: Morgantown, WV - https://www.facebook.com/events/383608141843750/
- May 3-4: Greensboro, NC - http://uncgnow.uncg.edu/ada-legacy-tour-stops-uncg/
- May 5-6: Raleigh, NC
- May 8: Gainesville, GA, https://www.facebook.com/AccessToABetterTomorrow?fref=ts&ref=br_tf
- May 10: ADA Symposium and NCCHR, Atlanta, GA - http://www.adasymposium.org/ , http://www.wheel2live.net/home
- May 12: Johnson City, TN - https://drctn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/ada-legacy-national-tour-is-comin...
- May 13-14: Knoxville, TN - https://www.facebook.com/pages/disABILITY-Resource-Center/344324208924529
- May 15-16: Mobility Expo, Atlanta, GA - http://www.themobilityexpo.com/ada25.html
- May 19: Birmingham, AL, http://drradvocates.org/
- May 21: Montgomery, AL, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Montgomery-Center-for-Independent-Living/...
- May 22: Gainesville, GA, https://www.facebook.com/AccessToABetterTomorrow?fref=ts&ref=br_tf
- May 27: Interfaith Summit, Atlanta, GA, http://faithanddisability.org/projects/ada-25th-anniversary/
- May 29: Augusta, GA - http://www.waltonoptions.org/ADA25
- May 30: Aiken, SC - http://www.waltonoptions.org/ADA25
- June 1-2: Charleston, SC - https://www.facebook.com/SCAbility?fref=ts
- June 3: Columbia, SC - http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c86fb5ede9ea4a8329ed696f6&id=87113f3bf8
- June 4: Anderson, SC, https://www.facebook.com/events/365108443689003/
- June 5: Greenville, SC, http://greenvillecan.org/ada-25th-anniversary-event/
- June 6: Anderson, SC, https://www.facebook.com/events/981084071924323/
- June 8-9: ADA Bus meets Disability Rights Museum on Wheels, Charlotte, NC
- June 12: Shepherd Center, Atlanta, GA
- June 13: SDS, USBLN and NCCHR, Atlanta, GA, http://disability.publichealth.gsu.edu/2015/03/20/ada-25-georgia/
- June 15: Mt. Vernon, IL, http://abilitychicagoinfo.blogspot.com/2015/06/ada-legacy-bus-tour-stops...
- June 16: Springfield, IL
- June 18: Indianapolis, IN - http://www.adaindiana.org/index.php?pageId=124
- June 19: Blommington, IN - http://www.adaindiana.org/index.php?pageId=124
- June 20: Monticello, IN - http://www.adaindiana.org/index.php?pageId=124
- June 25: Madison, WI - https://wisconsinadastories.org/schedule
- June 26-27: Milwaukee, WI - https://wisconsinadastories.org/schedule-milwaukee
- June 30: New York Mills, MN, Photo op for John Nousaine
- July 2: Billings, MT - http://www.liftt.org/2015/06/join-liftt-in-celebrating-25-years-of-the-ada/
- July 3: Great Falls, MT - http://www.liftt.org/2015/06/join-liftt-in-celebrating-25-years-of-the-ada/
- July 3: Helena, MT - http://www.summitilc.org/newsletter/
- July 4: Missoula, MT - http://www.summitilc.org/ada25.html
(photo by Tom Olin)